Is Herston Biofabrication Institute creating the hospital of the future? Advances in biofabrication research led by the Herston Biofabrication Institute will transform the way we provide health care by producing innovative personalized and automated treatments.
The Herston Biofabrication Institute is a partnership between Metro North Hospital and Health Service, and QUT.
Launching in 2017, the Herston Biofabrication Institute will advance knowledge and technology in 3D scanning, modelling and printing of bone, cartilage and other human tissue to repair tissue that is lost or damaged.
It will take a multidisciplinary approach, bringing together researchers from multiple scientific, clinical and industry disciplines at the Herston Health Precinct, one of Australia’s largest integrated health, teaching and research precincts.
The institute will:
- transform how we provide health care by developing innovative personalized and automated treatments
- support the Advance Queensland agenda to transition the state’s economy toward the jobs of the future
- grow Queensland’s economy and scientific footprint, expanding advanced manufacturing and attracting industry engagement with research
- develop new interdisciplinary approaches to education and training for clinicians, scientists, engineers, mathematicians and entrepreneurs.
Transforming health care
Biofabrication uses a person’s biological material, detailed 3D information about their condition, and specialized 3D printers to create personalized medicine.
The process enables the automated production of biologically, mechanically and anatomically customized solutions that are tailored for the patient’s body and condition.
Applications of biofabrication research include:
- lifelike personalized implants, grafts, prosthetics, orthotics and radiation therapy aids
- robotic-assisted surgery
- improved surgical training, planning and consultation.
These advances will lead to:
- lower health costs
- improved access to the best treatments
- better health outcomes and quality of life for individuals and society.